Movie Diary


























a) The Founder
I can't think of an actor I've been happier to see stage a major comeback than Michael Keaton. And The Founder, more than any of his other recent films, felt like it perfectly distilled that weird wired Michael Keaton energy that I'd missed. I wasn't sure what to expect from a movie about the origins of McDonald's, but it felt like they got into the nuts and bolts of all the good and bad of what McDonald's represents in a pretty thought provoking way and ended up with a pretty interesting portrayal of Ray Kroc.

b) The Incredible Jessica James
This is the first real star vehicle for Jessica Williams since she left "The Daily Show," so I had really high hopes for it to be great. But it was really just kind of an anonymous, pleasantly bland indie rom com, very light on actual laughs and not that different from James C. Strouse's other films except the lead occasionally says "AF." Even more disappointingly, Comedy Central didn't pick up the pilot Williams recently made, and she's now planning a different TV project with Strouse.

c) A Woman, A Part
Maggie Siff is one of my favorite dramatic actresses in television in the last few years for her work on "Billions" and "Sons of Anarchy," so I was excited to see her as a lead in film, although amusingly she basically plays a Maggie Siff-type respected television actress. It's a pretty interesting, thoughtful film about the profession of acting, although by the end I kinda felt like it ran out of energy and kind of arrived at a pat conclusion.

d) Passengers
Much has been said about how the plot of this film is kind of messed up and creepy. To the film's credit, they actually acknowledge it and it becomes the driving point of the story. But they still kind of try to come to this tidy resolution that redeems Chris Pratt's character, honestly this idea could've been pulled off if they had put a darker psychological tone into the story and had a less happy go lucky rom com pair of leads like Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.

e) Rogue One
I liked The Force Awakens more than I expected to, given my general indifference towards the idea of new Star Wars movies, and a lot of people had said that Rogue One was even better. But I dunno, the cast was good but didn't have remotely as much chemistry, and I just don't care about the mythology enough to really care about this prequel backstory where the ending is a foregone conclusion, it really didn't hold my attention at all. 

f) Miss Sloane
I really had no idea what this movie was about based on the marketing, I think I just assumed Jessica Chastain would play more or less the same kind of character she played in Zero Dark Thirty, some badass intelligence officer. It's a pretty well done movie but kind of felt like a dry off-brand Aaron Sorkin project, perhaps partly because Allison Pill and Sam Waterston showed up in this just a couple years after "The Newsroom."

g) Bad Moms
The whole "Bad [noun]" genre of mainstream comedies is so ubiquitous at this point that you can literally predict them with a Twitter bot. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the movies that bot comes up with, and this one was pretty decent. A movie with an almost entirely female cast, which is ostensibly about motherhood, being written and directed by the two guys who came up with The Hangover is maybe not the best look in the world, and a better or certainly less broad version of this movie definitely could've been made with women behind the camera. But the cast was good and it got a decent number of laughs out of my wife and me. 

h) Get A Job
This movie starring Miles Teller and Anna Kendrick quietly came out last year, which confused me until I realized that they'd made it before Whiplash or Pitch Perfect and it was basically shelved for 4 years. And really, it's just not very good, I get why they let it languish in obscurity and then slip it out on VOD even as the stars became more famous, but it's not terrible per se, just mediocre. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment